Friday, August 24, 2012

Rattlesnake Gulch: Risky Business


Eldorado Canyon is one of those must do’s if you ever plan to visit Boulder.  There’s only one way in and almost immediately you realize why this area has been such an attraction since the early 1900’s.  Towering cliffs along a rippling stream draws rock climbers from around the globe.  A swimming pool located within this little community is set up against those ridged peaks and offers a savory atmosphere for a little rest and relaxation.  Rattlesnake Gulch would serve up a strenuous yet captivating trail this weekend.

It was a typical Colorado summer day; mid 80’s at the base, sunny and the canyon was decorated in beautiful pine green.  This trail is a very popular hike on the weekends and I was the only mountain biker on the trail.  Rock climbers are scaling the walls of the canyon, families are dipping their feet in the creek and smiles abound.  My beloved wife and I would pay a visit this morning before my decision to ride.

I had tried this trail once before and with its steep incline I knew it would take a lot out of me.  I laid out my inhaler before I left home to make sure I wouldn't be caught breathless climbing up to 6700 feet and I didn't realize I forgot it until I unloaded my bike at the park.  Rather than going back home I chose to proceed but at a much slower pace.

The trail head is just off the access road and begins with a very easy and well groomed trail for a few meters.  Rattlesnake Gulch starts up in the opposite direction at what seems like a rather steep grade.   Once on the trail you’re immediately challenged by rocks of varying size and shape mixed in with fine loose dirt and roots.  This goes on for a few meters until you escape these obstacles for golf and tennis ball sized gravel.  Less than a quarter mile up the trail and staring down onto the parking area below looks like about 10 stories up which is an impressive height for such a short distance.

The most difficult part of this trail was not so much the steep grade but the trail itself.  A large part of this trail is loose and rocky and seems to be more so at the steepest points.  I’m having extreme difficulty keeping my front wheel on the ground and my rear wheel traction is almost nonexistent in many areas.

On platform pedals this afternoon, after clipping in on so many previous rides, I would discover an unusual sensation of losing my footing which made for quite an arduous climb up the trail.  The views however are getting better and better the higher I go.  Resting often so as not to lose my breath, I notice a train coming over a ridge and disappearing into the mountain.  This rail line is very popular during the winter when visitors from around the world catch the train out of Union Station in Downtown Denver and ride non-stop through the Rocky Mountains for a day of world class skiing at Winter Park in Grand County.

Hikers realize the path to the top can be tiring on your feet so they gladly step aside and allow me to pass.  Just over 1.2 miles into my ride I reach a trail junction and the start of a one mile loop.  At this junction lie the remains of Crags Hotel.  At the site you’ll find an interesting historical account of the once popular hotel.  The writings would help me imagine a time when the west was young.   I take the trail left onto even steeper rocky tread.  The pine trees become denser and the trail continues its loose rocky path.

At this point I start to wonder why I haven’t come across any other mountain bikers, a question that just might be answered next.  The trail gets pretty narrow at times and the steep and tall drop offs leave a rider clinging to the side of the mountain.  The loose rock and steep incline makes these sections muy peligroso.  One wrong move and you’re over the cliff with nothing but rock to break your fall.  Clipless pedals would not have been a good idea for me so I was thankful I made the switch to platform pedals before this ride.  Keep your eyes on the trail ahead of you, stay balanced from left to right and always be ready to ditch towards the mountain side.  Don't worry about the bike, it will handle the cliff a lot better than you would.  Despite the uneasy terrain, all I could think about was how much fun the descent would be.

The trail would peak at about the 1.6 mile mark and descend down to an overlook with spectacular views of the Continental Divide (mile 2.2).  From this overlook the trail would wind back down the other side of the loop to the trail head below.  Loose rock and steep grades require some downhill skill.  Control over your speed is critical so make sure your brakes are in good working order. 

It took me almost an hour to get to the overlook and 15 minutes to get down.  My Garmin Edge will illustrate the elevation gain and to some it may appear somewhat typical for a Boulder trail.  I would say that the trail is a whole lot steeper than the image may portray.  Couple the grade with a lack of traction and cascading cliffs and this trail makes for a fantastic challenge.  I would not recommend this trail for a rookie mountain biker but if you’re in the Boulder area and not exactly looking for a suffer fest then make a day hike out of it, you’ll enjoy the beautiful views and get a little exercise too and don't forget, it's very loose in areas so wear the appropriate footwear.

I decided to post a picture of a rock climber on this post because Eldorado Canyon is most celebrated for its rock climbing.  Eldorado Canyon is one of the most beautiful hiking spots in Boulder County with something for everyone, from the casual day hiker to those Colorado adrenaline junkies.

My ride is illustrated at connect.garmin.com/activity/212662669

Thank you for checking in and don’t be shy about leaving a message.  Click on the g+1 icon and share my blog with someone who might enjoy a little of the Colorado Dirt Life.

Thanks again and Happy Trails-AR

1 comment:

  1. Great story Alan! Be careful on those trails bro'. It's almost 2 a.m. here in Texas and I'm up because I had to put my dog's bark control collar on her before I get a nasty call from a neighbor. Maybe I'll dream about a Rocky Mountain bike ride when I go back to bed.

    ReplyDelete