Monday, August 13, 2012

Caribou Flats: Sticks and Stones


This was the weekend for big nobbies.  Snow comes early up in the mountains and down here on the Front Range we can’t put summer riding off for very long.  This time of year I thought Caribou Flats would offer some prime riding conditions so I packed up the YZ and headed up Boulder Canyon to the town of Nederland.

Nederland is rich in mining history dating back to the mid-19th century.  Caribou Flats just outside the city limits is littered with abandoned silver and tungsten mines.  By 1890 the mines at Caribou were no longer productive and Nederland soon became a ghost town.  Since then, there have been booms and busts but none more popular than the 1960’s boom when Nederland became the ultimate destination for “hippies” looking to escape the more developed Boulder.

My ride would begin at the Sourdough trail head along the very bumpy Dirt road of Hwy 116. Despite the road conditions, this ride up to the trail head was picture perfect.  The road winds through some of the prettiest forest Colorado has to offer, also a great experience from a car or SUV.  Pine forest to my left and to my right, a cool breeze flowing through the trees fills your lungs with fresh air and the scent of damp dirt adds to the ambiance.  In 3rd gear I ride leisurely up to trail 505.

The trail drops down into the forest on very rocky tread.  With sensitive throttle and clutch control I make it past this first obstacle.  In hindsight full padding would have been a good idea.  The trail clears a bit and rolls with ease; damp, blankets of shade, cool air and the occasional water puddle.  I soon come to a stream crossing and before I make my attempt I wait for a couple of 4-wheel drive vehicles to pass so that I can judge the depth.  The last thing I want to do is fall over in the ice cold water.

The water is about 2 feet deep so I give it a go in 2nd gear to keep my rear wheel from spinning.  Once across I’m greeted with mud holes and slippery rock.  The next couple of miles would be a mud fest.  There were many water holes, some as long as 20 yards and all concealing their depth and tread.  I would need to keep my front end light and brace for the rocks lying underneath the muddy water.

There was a section that was completely obscured with shade with a sliver of light shining through just enough to reveal sharp boulders extending up from beneath the murky water. With no way around I considered retreat for a few minutes because I couldn’t imagine this was going to be pleasant.  Downed Blue Spruce pine poked out of the forest like swords daring you to pass.  As I sat there staring at my two choices; a huge water hole or deep soggy mud I went for the water hole but it didn’t end there.  The next section would include more water holes, downed pine trees, roots and a small boulder section.

Now through I would meet with another trail head with two additional options.  The first would be a steady climb on fairly easy tread.  As I come up out of the woods the forest opens up to a spectacular view of Bald Mountain (picture).  This trail would dead end so I made my way back and tried my other option.  The first section of this trail was such a treat but just as I was getting comfortable the boulders made an abrupt appearance and would stretch another mile or two up to tree line.  Once on top I head down the other side on more rocky tread.  Mostly downhill I knew it would be much more difficult on the way back. After a couple of miles of this abuse and a brief fuel check I would turn back.  With more throttle I would need to be much more alert for pine tree branches sticking out into the trail or become an ornament for Vlad.

Climbing on rocky tread is very tricky, you have to keep a steady speed while keeping your weight on the back wheel and at the same time your eyes are focused two or three bike lengths ahead to locate the best line.  The bike is bouncing, sometimes uncontrollably, my hands are straining to maintain grip, obstacles at every turn and no level landscape for rest.

My trip back would be equally challenging.  Back over tree line, lightning is always a concern but skies are clear today.  At this time, campers are settling in from their day hikes and the campfires begin to flare.  There’s something about campfires that just seems to complete the whole mountain experience.  Most will gather firewood from around their campsite while others will bring their own.  The scented smoke from hidden campsites fills the air and I slow to add another impression to my ride today.  After a full day of skills testing I was exhausted both physically and mentally.

If you’re not the two wheel type, you can try these trails on an ATV.  Riders of all ages were out today and although some sections should only be attempted by experienced riders there are still plenty of miles for riders of all skill levels.  For those with high clearance vehicles, pack up your buddies and give these trails a try, you’re sure to make your own memories.

Hiking our back country trails can certainly be an unbelievable experience but there’s nothing like covering ground on two wheels.  Catch this latest adventure at Caribou Flats 

Thanks for checking in and Happy Trails.
AR

No comments:

Post a Comment