Monday, August 20, 2012

Hall Ranch: Pop Rocks


Pop Rocks were first offered to the public in 1975 by General Foods Corporation and is one of those rare treats that are also fun to eat.  Candy bites that really look like little pebbles in your hand and burst with flavor on your tongue.  Today Pop Rocks are a fizzy reminder of 70's pop culture.  Hall Ranch in no way reminds me of bubbly candy or tight denim flare bell bottoms but it is a trail with one of the most difficult boulder gardens in Boulder County and so worthy of the title.

The trail head is just outside of Lyons, a quaint little town and gateway to some of the most beautiful scenery in our state.  The Lyons areas first inhabitants were the Ute and Arapahoe tribes although many other Nations would wander through the area to hunt.  E.S. Lyons and his wife arrived in 1880 on the advice of his doctor.  Apparently Colorado was known for its healing nature and healthy lifestyle even back then.

Hall Ranch, and more specifically Lower Bitterbrush, reminds me a lot of Moab Utah with its mild elevation climbs and abundant sandstone terrain.  It was a calm summer day with only a slight trace of a breeze.  The sky was clear and the sun was bright.  Having been on the trail before, I knew I would need some extra head protection so I thought my full face helmet would be the better option.

Hall Ranch has 3 sections each with its own appeal.  On my very first attempt I only made it halfway through section 2 before accepting my defeat.  The middle section continues to push back like the neighborhood bully.  On this one particular ride the lower Bitterbrush Trail would embarrass me almost as much as being seen in a pair of Sergio Valente designer jeans.  I was absolutely determined to complete all 3 sections.  It was my very first ride on my new clipless pedals and nothing would stop me this time.  Blissfully arrogant I headed out.

The first section I would categorize as a green.  The trail is well groomed, hard packed with an occasional rock section to keep it interesting.  The trail will ascend and descend gradually but watch your speed as the switchbacks seem to come out of nowhere.  The trail meanders through brush and sparse pine set up against sandstone hills.  With its porous surface a mountain bike can climb some unbelievable terrain and some riders can even climb some sandstone at almost 90 degrees.  It certainly takes some of that skill to get through section 2.

Section 2 begins at a service road crossing.  The trail drops down at about a 45 degree angle before an abrupt about face.  From here it is a pretty steady climb and the sandstone boulders start to make their appearance.  Balance is critical and platform pedals are recommended for a novice rider; you really need some good balance here and the rock garden will seem long if you’re a first timer.  The sandstone actually makes it a bit easier to negotiate however the obstacles can be jagged and abundant with tree roots mixed in.  The boulders seem to get bigger as you make your way up and in some areas the trail may be a bit difficult to identify if not for the skid marks.  

At about the 1 mile mark the path is almost unrideable unless you’re a very experienced rider.  Identifying a passable line will be difficult if not impossible for a novice rider.  I would consider myself at least an intermediate rider and this part of the trail would force me to my feet.  Carrying a bike over these sections would be a chore in itself.  I wouldn’t get a chance to remount for at least another 30 yards.  Once over the most difficult sections, I would remount and on to the next section.  There are a couple of areas to stop and take in the view and most like me welcome the rest.  Lower Bitterbrush will emerge onto a plateau overlooking open space and a bench awaits you for some well needed rest.  Lower Bitterbrush will drop down for another 100 yards but today I would call this my turnaround point.  I clip in and start my way down.   

Downhill always seems a bit easier although balance and weight distribution is a lot more important.  I would manage to stay on the bike through some of the sections I couldn’t make on my way up so I’m feeling a bit bolder now.  I’ve got good control of the hydraulic brakes so far until I come off a rock section that meets with a level part of the trail.  The rock is about a foot and a half tall, just enough to get a tire over with another smaller rock just far enough in front to fit your tire in between.  Going slowly I point my front tire over the first rock rolling just over it until my wheel comes to rest nice and snug between both rocks.  The problem now is my momentum pulls my weight forward but my front wheel is locked between these two rocks; can you guess what happens next?

Like slow motion, I begin to drift over the handlebars.  My feet are clipped into my pedals so there’s no way to catch my balance.  If I were watching from the side I would probably describe it as a somersault with a bike attached to my feet.

At the point when I hit the ground, my bike flies into the rocks and this is when my feet break free from the pedals.  Once on the ground my calf muscles pull simultaneously and the pain is so intense I can’t get myself up.  I grab my two feet and try and stretch the muscles to see if they will loosen up.  I must have been on the ground for 15 minutes and surprisingly no one else passed.

I finally get myself off the ground and stretch my legs a bit.  I grab the bike and everything seems intact.  Once my mind is off my leg pain three other areas compete for my attention.  My right palm feels like I slammed it against a brick wall and I can’t grip my handlebar.  My right bicep starts to swell with a huge bruise and it hurts when I breathe.  I’m not even half way through this section and I can’t seem to ride with both hands.  I decide to walk the bike until I feel the trail is level enough to ride at which point I hop on the bike again and head for the parking lot.  With one hand I finally make it to the car.

Hall Ranch will take some work to complete but when you finally make it through, it's DYN-O-MITE.  If you're a casual mountain bike rider you won't like section 2.  If you like a challenge, you won't be disappointed but be prepared and use good judgment.  As difficult as this trail may sound, believe it or not I've seen riders on unicycles on this trail but I have yet to see one make it without stopping.   You've heard this from me before but never attempt a difficult trail on pedals you’re not used to.  Knee and elbow pads would be a good idea too for the inexperienced rider.  If you come across a section, of any trail, that looks precarious to you, then it is.  Dismount and try it another day.

There is a much smoother way up if you take the service road and from the bench area you can finish down Lower Bitterbrush then hop on to Antelope Trail and Nelson Loop, these two trails will make a fantastic afternoon with great rolling single-track.  The trails are mostly hard packed, few obstacles, a bit more climbing and great stops along the way including the old Nelson Ranch House.

Catch the reenactment at connect.garmin.com/activity/204582795

Thanks as always and Happy Trails.

AR

No comments:

Post a Comment