Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Picture Rock: Chute To Thrill



I was watching a video the other day of an upfront point of view on Six Flags’ Judge Roy Scream and as I watched I imagined the thrill of rolling up and down at high speed, tucked in tight as the adrenaline heightened my senses.  Most mountain bikers will tell you that the best part of climbing is the descent.  My favorite trails are those with smooth rolling twists and turns.  The speed and the sensation you get can only be described as a roller coaster.  Picture Rock is one of a handful of trails in Boulder County that come as close to a roller coaster ride as I’ve seen.  My bike would be car one and holding on while bent over the handlebars would send me back on that familiar thrill ride.

Picture Rock is located just outside of Lyons, Colorado and this trail is a local favorite among mountain bikers at all skill levels.  This is a multi-use trail so make sure to watch out for hikers and riders on horseback.  From the trail head, the climb is gradual on a smooth single track.  At about the 0.05 mile mark the trail gets a little rough with some rocks set into the trail; great section to practice line choice.  Slowly the brown dirt turns to red and smooths out once again.  The trail climbs gradually and as the trail passes underneath your tires you start to get a sense of the exciting trip back.

The trail twists and turns through brush, cacti and pine trees in direct sunlight and the scent of juniper gently floats in the air for the next 2 miles.  Somewhere near the 3 mile mark you’ll come across an old abandoned vehicle, perhaps the most recognized landmark on the trail.  From this point you can see the remains of another old truck on the disappearing road that was once used to access what appears to be an old homestead.  The trail continues to climb on an exchange of smooth and rocky tread with 8 switchbacks up to Wild Turkey trail-I’m still not sure why they call this Picture Rock, perhaps I’m just too focused to notice.

I chose to loop around Wild Turkey starting right at the trail junction (5 miles).  From here the climb continues on rocky tread.  I had decided that I would live on the middle ring up front and the 4th tallest on the rear.  My technique had predominately kept me on the seat so to help with conditioning I would come off the seat and use my weight when the trail got rough instead of switching to an easier gear.  It would take a lot more leg strength on this 14 mile ride but I know I’ll have to limit riding on a granny gear if I’m to improve my performance.

On and off my seat I power through some of the rock sections and in a taller gear I can pick up speed on the level sections.  On the slight declines some of the turns come quickly with rock and trees just out of sight so you have to keep your eyes focused 3 or 4 bike lengths ahead.  At about the 6.25 mile mark the trail turns level and smooth; reminds me of our local walking paths in town.  This section was a welcome relief from the previous pedal mashing.  The trail leads to a scenic overlook area where I find other mountain bikers taking in the view of Saint Vrain Canyon and Hall Ranch.

After snapping a couple of pictures and a little hydration I continue up Ponderosa Loop on very rocky but passable tread.  I finally reach the top of my ride at 7.7 miles at another Wild Turkey, Ponderosa Loop trail junction.  From here you can take the Ponderosa Loop trail up a few meters and catch another of my favorites in Boulder County; the Wapiti trail down to the Heil Ranch trail head.  I would continue down the Wild Turkey trail in anticipation of lower Picture Rock.

My ride is all downhill from here with few turns.  Speed and control is critical because rocks and trees are all around and you don’t want to get caught off guard.  Now at the Picture Rock junction I turn and maneuver down rocky tread.  Feathering the brakes keeps my speed steady and in control.  At speed it’s easy to lose control especially on loose tread but at the same time you want to try and avoid sliding on your back tire. 

Back on red dirt the roller coaster ride begins.  The trail is smooth and loose in spots.  At first it’s up and down then the twists and turns appear, many blind corners so be ready to hit the brakes.  If all clear let the bike roll, you'll find it impossible to lose the huge smile on your face.  You’re threading through the brush area and with some skill it’s possible to make it through without ever spinning the cranks.  Parts of this section will get slightly rocky so feather the front brakes a bit at higher speeds.  A couple of switchbacks are mixed in to slow you down but don’t despair, it’s not over yet.

So you come out of the brush and the trail opens up.  You’ll be tempted to roll unabated but beware, the trail is smooth but lightly dusted in red dirt and you can find yourself quickly out of control.  Visibility is great for the most part but there are areas with blind turns and you may find yourself up on hikers and be forced into hard braking.  The trail is perfect, focused on the trail I imagine rails underneath, those 26’ tires rolling, shocks absorbing the g-forces, sticking the berms, shooting down and up-yahoo!

I did almost 14 miles on this ride but for you adrenaline junkies, do the gentle climb up about 3 miles then turn around and enjoy the ride.  At this distance you can do it more than once and believe me it is worth it.  

Click on connect.garmin.com/activity/223673520  to view my route and click on the green arrow on the map and follow along.

Click on the g+1 icon or share on your Facebook or Twitter page, your followers will dig it.  Thanks for checking in and Happy Trails!

AR

No comments:

Post a Comment