Monday, September 10, 2012

Caribou Classic: Suffer Fest


I just learned that Caribou Ranch was home to one of the most popular music studios of the 1970’s.  Recording artists from Joe Walsh to Elton John recorded in this studio located just north of the sleepy little community of Nederland CO.  This weekend, Caribou Ranch was the starting point to the Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance 2012 Caribou Classic and yours truly would be participating.  Nicknamed “Suffer Fest,” this ride would take us on a 40 mile journey on a combination of dirt roads, double track and tight single track trails throughout the area.

I arrived promptly at 7am, the fog still laying over the landscape and it was a brisk 40 degrees.  As I exited my car I could hear the bugle of Elk in the background as the frost from my breath floats into the warming air.  The night before I spent preparing my bike and packing for my first extended ride on mountain terrain.  I had no idea what I would need on a ride this long so I stuck to the suggested list provided by the hosts.  This was an exclusive ride open to BMA members only and my first event with the group.  I had no idea what the skill level of the membership would be so I was curious how I would measure up.

I retrieved my number (111) and at about 8:00am 150 mountain bikers lined up for the start.  The most hard core riders took their place at the front and the rest of us filed in behind them.  By the time I got to the lineup I was almost at the very back of the line.  We start after much anticipation up a slight climb on dirt road towards Caribou Ranch.  Quickly I find myself in last place convinced I’ll catch them on the descents.  I knew I wasn’t a strong climber but now I know I'll need to pick up the pace.

The road levels off around the homestead for a few meters then suddenly descends.  Here I would pass half the group as they slow around the corners.  From the road we turn onto double track and the first trail junction; Flume Loop to the left and Sherwood Creek trail to the right.  Some of us chose to take the Flume Loop trail through dense pine forest.  The trail was in perfect condition; single track under a cool canopy of lodge pole pine and damp with plenty of traction.  The loop was short and met back at the trail junction with Sherwood Creek. 

Sherwood creek continued on double track and pleasant tread which later met with Caribou Road.  I was able to keep a steady pace and before I knew it I was all alone.  The course was marked for the most part however when direction was needed most, markings were nowhere to be found.  At one point I had to retrace my route hoping I’d come across other riders to help me get back on track.  After a few minutes with no other riders in sight I decided to look for tire tracks, which I then followed luckily to the next check point.

Here we would catch a dirt road leading up to Caribou Flats trail head.  This road was incredibly steep for a mountain bike and took a lot of strength and energy to climb.  Fearing I was once again in last place I was pleasantly surprised to notice more riders behind me.  I would take my first water break as my fellow participants did as well.  I was the first to depart and would not see most of the riders for the rest of the ride.

Now up at the Caribou Flats trail head I would take another break from one of the most exhausting climbs on the course.  At this point my legs were suffering from incredible fatigue and at just over the 10 mile mark I was starting to wonder if I would finish.  From here I would descend onto trail 505 as I did before on my Sticks and Stones post.  I would pass a number of riders on this descent as well.  The trail this time had even more water holes and mud became a major obstacle not to mention the extra skill it would take to negotiate rocks on wet tires.  My bike and my shoes were covered with mud but I knew there would be a creek crossing up ahead for a quick rinse so I didn’t mind too much.  Once at the creek crossing I misjudged the depth and as I rode past two riders contemplating their crossing my feet plunged beneath the water.  After 5 revolutions I would make it past the freezing cold water with soaked feet and a bike still caked with mud.  I ended up stopping a few hundred feet ahead just to wring out my socks.

From here it was a steady climb through packed dirt, mud and very rocky tread towards the top.  Once on top (13 mile mark) we take the dirt road down to the Sourdough trail head.  On this leg of the course I would reach speeds of 26 miles an hour on a road of loose gravel, rock and packed dirt.  This road would take us to the Sourdough trail head and our next check point.  I’m now on mile 17 of this 40 mile trek and my legs shake with fatigue and my seat is starting to feel like a cinder block.

I knew what Sourdough was like; a great deal of climbing, very rocky in sections and long.  Before heading up I started to work the math; OK this is a 40 mile ride, I’m at 17 miles, if 40 miles ends at this check point then I probably only have a 10 mile climb and a 10 mile descent.  I wasn’t sure I could make it but I wanted the challenge.

I take off up the trail knowing I may not finish but I wasn’t ready to call it a day.  The trail is just as I remembered and even more difficult after 17 miles of agony.  Slowly, I make my way stopping often just long enough to stretch my legs.  To avoid cramping up I try to keep pedaling on my granny gear with little relief.  At about 1:00pm I start to encounter the top riders on their way down.  These guys and gals have incredible skills as they speed down the trail as fast as is possible on this trail.  At just over the 19 mile mark I just can’t safely go on any longer and I turn around.  Normally the downhill would be a welcome change but on weary legs the ride down seems almost as difficult.

I finally reach the check point on my way back.  The route back to the ranch took us down hill on Highway 72.  On the highway I will reach almost 36 miles an hour; made for quite a short trip back.  As I pull in to officially finish, I’m greeted with burgers and beer provided by Oskar Blues.  I finished the day with over 27 miles logged in just under 6 hours, certainly room for improvement but not bad for a first timer.  After meeting some of my fellow participants and a juicy burger, I load up the Rover and head back down to Erie.

I’m not sure how many actually finished but one thing I know is that everybody had a great time.  I met some great people and it was nice to ride with someone other than myself.  I have some work to do if I expect to keep up with this group.  This should be a great reason to ride more during the week.  Google Caribou Ranch and click on the wikipedia link, you'll be amazed at all the recording artists who've recorded there.

Follow my route at connect.garmin.com/activity/220371383

Click on the green arrow in the map to launch the player and follow along.  Click on the g+1 icon if you'd like to share my adventure and don't be shy about leaving a comment.

Thank you for checking in and I hope you can find the time to enjoy the outdoors on two wheels-Happy Trails.

AR 

No comments:

Post a Comment