Monday, July 30, 2012

Radio Flyer: Not Just For Kids


When I think of Radio Flyer I picture a little red wagon filled with dirt or maybe your favorite niece or nephew.  For my significant other, hers carries 3 fertile tomato plants.  Whatever you choose to pull, one thing is certain, no one can resist the smile it brings.

I had the pleasure of riding on a Radio Flyer recently, all 195 lbs of me.  Ok, you might think I’m a little too big for that now, perhaps for the little red wagon, but for me this Radio Flyer was atop Vail Mountain and one of their newer downhill rides.

I’ve always wondered how they come up with names for these trails and I got to thinking about Radio Flyer last night.  For me this little red wagon represented joyful youth and thinking back on my ride down Radio Flyer, nothing could have described it better.

It started with a calming ride up the mountain on the Eagle Bahn Gondola.  It was just me and my trusted steed on the Gondola today.  If you’ve never been on a Gondola, Vail has one of the best with a great view of Vail Village below and beautiful scenes all the way up to Adventure Ridge.  For this ride I took a full suspension bike with the fork and rear shock at full travel.  I opted to leave the padding at home but I did decide to use my downhill helmet.  I used my clipless pedals but I would have preferred platforms-I know what you’re saying, “change them already!”

At the trail head you’re greeted with a bright red sign reading “RADIO FLYER IS AN ISOLATED AND MORE DIFFICULT TRAIL” among other warnings.  I knew I was in store for quite a ride and honestly I was a little intimidated at first.  Weather was approaching and it had rained earlier because the trail was damp.  When you’re surrounded by towering pines and moist Dirt, there is an additional element to your ride that you just can’t forget, it’s a rush of aromas that just fills your senses and all you can say is WOW.

So I start down Radio Flyer and at first it seems pretty easy, the Dirt is damp so the tires really hook up nicely and very few rocks although trees line every foot down this trail.  As I progress I begin to let off the brakes a bit more and the twists and turns bring out the little kid in me as I find myself hootin’ and hollering’ down the trail.  You can gain a lot of speed down this trail.  It’s well groomed so even at slow speeds you’re sure to relive your own childhood.  Water puddles are scattered throughout on this day and although I don’t mind getting dirty the challenge to take the outside line was just too much.

There is a really cool section of whoops on this trail and my first tendency was to try and ride a wheelie through them until I came to my senses and realized I wasn’t on a motorcycle-I have to believe the really fast guys could do it.  The tight switchbacks will force you to brake but don’t let them stop you from letting go right after.  The forest is pretty dense down the trail and I’m surprised I could maintain satellite communication.  It was really cool that day but I don’t think it would get terribly hot with all that shade.

This trail can certainly be one of the most difficult trails on Vail Mountain depending on your speed.  Never ride any trail beyond your ability and I believe anyone who has good control on the bike and has a great feel for braking can ride this trail.  You don’t have to be an expert to enjoy this ride but it will look steep for those who aren’t used to riding on mountains and definitely make sure your equipment is in good working order, any brake malfunction or rider error won’t end well.

Radio Flyer doesn’t run all the way down to Vail Village so on this particular ride I caught PMT, which is categorized as a Black Diamond trail, for a few meters with two frightening drops for someone on clipless pedals.  From there I caught Hank’s Hideaway, which any level of rider would enjoy (picture above).  It runs through many Aspen groves and lush vegetation when combined with an intermediate run makes for one heck of a ride. 

These trails were a delight for the mind, body and soul and you can catch it all at Radio Flyer

Don't forget to click on the green arrow in the map to watch the movie and Happy Trails!

Alan Romero

No comments:

Post a Comment