Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Dirt Life


My love affair with dirt began at a very early age.  I remember playing with my favorite 4-wheel drive hot wheel on a big mound of dirt my dad had delivered to help raise our front yard back home.  I used to carve out roads and tunnels and the occasional rain storm brought a whole new dimension to my unusual obsession.

In the early 1970’s my dad brought home a Honda XL250.  I still remember sitting on the gas tank with my feet over the handlebars riding through one of our favorite parks.  Soon afterward my oldest brother became the proud owner of a Yamaha YZ80.  He and his buddies would take off and ride all over the neighborhood and sometimes I was lucky enough to ride along.  My brother would keep this bike in his bedroom and I recall just staring at those nobby tires, I could really throw some dirt with those, I thought.  I remember only making one attempt at riding the yellow and black machine, with my brother switching gears while he rode in back. 
 
It wasn’t long after that the YZ was replaced by a late 70’s Suzuki RM250.  We still had the XL and my older brother, not the oldest, was the only one crazy enough to let me take it for a spin while he rode on back.  I can just imagine his regret after I ran us into a wooden fence my first time out.
I had such a fascination with dirt bike tires back then and still do to this day.  I think I enjoyed dirt roads just so I could work out those tires.  Perhaps it is the adventures possible on such a tread; those tires can take you just about anywhere.  My dad would take us to the motocross races from time to time but it all seemed so far away until “On Any Sunday” which opened at theaters in 1971.  For the first time I was able to observe the dirt life from those living it.  This movie introduced me to all kinds of two-wheeled adventures and nothing more terrifying than ice racing with a shot of a motorcycle tire adorned with what reminded me of ice picks.  No dirt life is complete without the “OAS” experience.

Well, time passed and as the old saying goes, all good things must come to an end and so it was for my two wheeled companions sometime around my sophomore year in high school.   I gave the Suzuki one kick and it started briefly before stalling.  Frantically I kicked it over and over again hoping for some sign of life but it was not to be. Both bikes just failed to start after that day, it was like losing my best friend, I was so bummed.  (If I knew then what I know now, I could have fixed at least the RM as I’m sure it was something as simple as a fouled plug.)

Decades would pass before I found myself throwing a leg over another dirt bike, an old and poorly restored Honda XL250 in fact.  Now living in Colorado, I could really take those tires for a ride although early on I was quite limited because I had no way of transporting a dirt bike.  Consequently, I rediscovered the thrill of mountain biking.  Now, when I’m not on the dirt bike or out catching Sunday motocross races you’ll find me threading through some of Boulder County’s most beautiful mountain terrain.  I dreamed of adventure all my life and Colorado was where I would find it.  Colorado was my destiny and now I live here with my beautiful wife and I want to share my dirt life with you.

Colorado is best known for its winter sports but with over 300 days of sunshine every year residents know that spring, summer and fall is our best kept secret.  I’d like to take you on a 2-wheel journey through our beautiful state and experience Colorado and all its splendor.  Check back often for detailed ride descriptions and trail conditions, helpful tips and best of all the many lessons learned as an intermediate enthusiast.  Mountain biking and dirt bike riding carry additional risks so look for some safety tips and words of caution to help you prepare for your own adventures.  Also, nothing can ruin a great day of exploring like an equipment malfunction so lists of recommended items to carry with you will also be included. 

This blog is dedicated to all who have come to realize that the fountain of youth is actually a trail in the dirt.

Alan Romero

1 comment: