Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Four Mile Canyon / Poorman Road: Training Day

I had it all planned out; get home, wash the Dirt off the Rover from the last expedition then head out for a quick route out at Betasso Preserve.  Well, it's Wednesday and the locals know what that means....no access!

I knew this but it just slipped my mind.  I wasn't going to waste a cool Boulder evening so I decided to hit the road, that is Four Mile and Poorman Road for a quick climb.  This would make a great loop if you park down around Eben G. Fine Park on the Boulder Creek.  I turned around where Poorman and Sunshine Canyon Drive connect but if you take Sunshine south you'll eventually make your way back to the Boulder Creek.  Unfortunately I parked at Boulder Canyon Drive and Four Mile Canyon Drive and I didn't want to ride up Boulder Canyon Drive in the dark.

This was a pretty easy climb and it is very scenic.  It's all paved except for Poorman Road which is hard packed, mild enough for road bikes but still unpaved.  Four Mile doesn't have a lot of traffic and it runs through a canyon and this time of day it was very cool.  The only thing you need to know is that on your way down you'll want to breathe through your nose or risk an unusual snack, the flying variety.  

You can't miss the Boulder Mountain Lodge just as you head up Four Mile Canyon Drive. This lodge is set up against the canyon wall and sits along a flowing creek.  I haven't had the pleasure of visiting but it looks like a great mountain retreat.

Click on my Garmin page to follow my route: connect.garmin.com/activity/344261562

I have a website now at www.dirt-life.com where you can contact me about scheduling a mountain bike tour.  The best way to see our beautiful state is on two wheels so don't hesitate to ask me about the trails on this blog.

Thanks for checking in and I hope to see you on the trails.

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment