Saturday, May 18, 2013

Trail Tip | Riding On Snow

I'm obsessed with Dirt and sometimes I just can't wait for the ground to thaw.  This past week was warm and by all indications it seemed to be the case in the high country as well.  There is still too much snow above 10,000 feet in most areas and I figured Nederland would be just about right this time of year.  I was expecting some moisture but certainly not piles of snow.

I had no way of knowing what to expect but the Sourdough trail seemed to be as good a choice as any so I loaded up the Rover and set out for Caribou country.  From the parking lot the trail looked prime; a fine mixture of moist Dirt, crushed gravel and rock.  Just out of sight though was the makings of another arduous journey, one which I would ultimately cut short.  The trail had scattered snow piles, some at least 10 inches deep and very difficult to pass.  These piles covered about 80% of the trail (Twitter updates @COdirtlife) and was increasing the higher I rode.  It was going to be a short day so before I turned around I was going to test my snow handling abilities.

Riding on snow is both exhilarating and terrifying, depending on your speed.  The common mountain bike tire is not designed to maneuver over snow so if you're caught up in it you'll have to exercise a number of different skills.

The first would have to be balance, especially on clipless pedals.  Climbing will be impossible in the deep snow unless you're lucky enough to own a Fat Bike or riding on studded tires.  For the rest of us slumming it on 26X2.4's you may need to dismount.  I managed OK most of the way by staying in the saddle and shifting my weight to the back while keeping the front end light.  My line would follow through the shallow stuff hoping to catch a bit of the ground with my rear tire.  When the snow got deep I tried to center my weight to keep either tire from sinking too much.  The trick to riding in snow I've found is to keep your pedals moving.  You will get lousy traction but at least you're still moving forward, most of the time.

Downhill can be a bit more challenging.  Certainly forward momentum will get you through most of it but you have got to be extremely careful.  Sourdough has plenty of rock and quite often these rocks are hidden beneath the snow.  I am not recommending high speed on a snow covered trail but if you must test your skills then here are a couple of tips.

Keep your front end light!  If possible, lift your front wheel but only if you feel you can safely land it on solid ground.  Point your front tire toward the Dirt spots at every opportunity but be careful not to catch your handlebar on a tree.  Keep your speed in check, you don't want to spend your summer recovering from injuries.  

Finally, if you're planning on riding at high altitudes this time of year you may want to have a back-up plan.  I made the most of my day by returning to the parking lot and riding up the Dirt road toward Rainbow Lakes.  It was closed to automobiles so I had the road all to myself and it was great!  The air never smelled fresher, the views were spectacular and the road was nice and tacky.

One last word of caution.  Snow will conceal all traces of your trail and if it were not for the trail markers on Sourdough, someone could find themselves lost in the forest very easily.  If you find yourself on a snow covered trail, make sure to mark your route somehow so you don't lose your way.

I recorded these rides on my Garmin page although both routes were cut short by snow cover so I'll save the routes for a time when I can complete the whole ride.

It was another fine day in the Colorado Rockies and I hope you get a chance to visit some day soon.  Till then, ride often and with passion.

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment