Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Heil Ranch: Gonzo



Parking Entrance: N40°07.960’  W105°17.679’



“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson had some things figured out; if I could just convince my friends and family that the thrill they seek can be found right under their feet.  Heil Ranch offered a little bit of what I fancy this weekend – tacky trail and mud puddles, sun, shade and fresh mountain air.  We can all find a reason to put something off but it’s the little things you’ll miss, waiting for the right time.

Finding the time to engage in any recreational activity is perhaps the most difficult condition to overcome.  You deserve to treat yourself to an escape once and a while so ‘when’ you find the time, let me help you with the rest.

The first thing you need of course is a bike.  If you don’t own one, you can be sure there is a local bike shop not too far away with employees who’d love to trade places with you.  Most bike shops will have rentals available and of course the latest models for purchase.  So what kind of bike?  Well, if we’re talking mountain biking then of course you’ll want the fat tire variety.  Today you have a choice of wheel size (26 or 29 inches) and your choice will depend on the type of trail you plan to tackle.  Ask your sales person what they would recommend.  Most bike manufacturers these days pay close attention to weight, even on their low end bikes, which by the way are often the same as the higher priced models but with entry level components.  There’s no reason to worry so much about weight these days unless you’re out to compete so focus more on comfort.

Full suspension or hard tail?  It all depends on the trail you intend to ride.  I find that a full suspension works great on uneven trails with lots of obstacles like rocks and roots.  If you plan on riding a smooth surface with minimal elevation changes then go with a hard tail, you’ll appreciate the less weight plus you won’t be bobbing up and down like a chicken.

Choose your trail wisely.  When I started this blog I wanted to help people get the most out of their afternoon and before all this technology for me it was often a roll of the dice.  Colorado has some of the most technical riding in the country and if you’re not prepared it can ruin your afternoon.  Furthermore, we are in the Rocky Mountains so climbing goes without saying.  This is precisely why I link my Garmin page to all my posts.  On this page you will find distance and elevation statistics to give you a better idea of what you can expect and here in Colorado you need to know what you’re in for before you head out.  Make sure you’re in good shape before attempting high elevation climbs.  The thin air will rob you of your strength quickly.

I rode Heil Ranch again this weekend and it was just what the doctor ordered.  It is an intermediate ride with a tasty assortment of rocks the higher you go.  The Wild Turkey trail (loop) is the rockiest part of the trail with rocks ranging from golf ball to basketball size but nothing you can’t find your way over or around.  It smelled like Christmas all the way up to the Ponderosa Loop and snow melt formed the many water puddles along the way; my bike and I were pretty filthy by the end of the ride – now that’s the Dirt Life!

Finally, make sure you take some water with you.  Most of Boulder County trails are short enough that one water bottle is all you need as long as you have plenty before your ride.  On hotter days you may need more but I’ve never taken anything more than one water bottle on each of my rides.  If I plan on really pushing it or if I think I’ll be out for more than 3 hours then I will typically go with a Camelback.

Here is the link from my latest ride connect.garmin.com/activity/305450779 and I hope it helps in your preparation.  Lose the ‘Fear and Loathing’ of the work week and head up to the mountains, your mind and body will thank you for it.

I hope to see you on the trail – Alan Romero

No comments:

Post a Comment