Monday, January 21, 2013

Hall Ranch / Prelude to a Fawn



One of my favorite Debussy pieces has to be Prèlude à L’après-midi d’un Faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun).  It's the perfect theme for exploring the outdoors and the perfect soundtrack for my ride this past weekend.

It has been extremely cold lately and the mountain bikes have been hanging in the garage getting little, if any, use.  This weekend however we were greeted with 50 degree weather and I was not going to let this weekend go by without sinking some nobbies into the dirt.  I checked my favorite local websites for trail conditions and I was glad to see a couple of my favorites may be dry and clear.  I decided on Hall Ranch and this time I would map Bitterbrush and Nelson Loop.

The weather was perfect but I still wore some cold weather layers just in case it got cold up top.  In my earlier posts I described the lower half of the trail and this time out was no different.  The first 0.80 miles is well groomed with a couple of rocky areas but nothing too difficult.

At 0.80 miles you cross a service road and begin the most difficult part of the trail.  From here to about the 2 mile mark you’ll cross one heck of a boulder garden with very challenging terrain.  If you’re not used to this type of terrain don’t experiment here, dismount so you can enjoy the rest of the ride.  The service road is restricted to mountain bikers unless you have an emergency so you don’t have much of a choice; just take your time and be careful.

At the top you’ll come up to a nice resting spot with a bench and nice open view of the mountains.  From here to about the 2.5 mile mark you’ll be delighted with a smooth winding downhill speed section.  This is new and we should thank our trail builders for such a fine job.  You can pick up a ton of speed here but please make sure you yield to other trail users and bikes climbing in the opposite direction.  You’ll come to a trail junction with Antelope trail and if you’re going to tackle Nelson Loop you’ll need to go left.

It’s a really smooth open single track up to the 3.82 mile mark.  This steady climb should be no problem unless you’re like me and let your fitness slide over the cold winter days.  The trail is really smooth with very few rocks.  You’ll have a little shade closer to the loop but most of this section is exposed and today the sun was nice and toasty.

You’ll reach the Nelson Loop at the 3.82 mile mark and from here I chose to start the loop to the left.  This is a well groomed mild climb and today snow still covered part of the landscape.  Parts were wet and frozen with little mud-perfect for sinking those waiting nobbies.  At around the 4.25 mile mark you’ll come to a small bridge.  Perched over a small stream, this is a great resting spot with great views so make sure you have your cameras.

The climb will continue for another half mile till you reach the intersection of Nelson Loop and Nighthawk trail at the 5 mile mark.  It was here that I came across a small group of deer enjoying the company of mountain bikers and hikers.  While the bucks retreat to the wooded areas, the fawn’s stood just feet from the trail as I rode by.  At around 4.5 miles I rode down to the Nelson farm house-if this is your first time, take a few minutes to ride down and have a look.

So at the Nighthawk, Nelson Loop intersection the trail heads down.  Today since the trail was under a bit of snow I had to take it a little slower than I normally would.  There aren’t many rocks but it will run through the trees and nobody wants see them up close at high speed.  In the summer this section is one heck of a good time and worth the climb.

At about the 6.25 mile mark you should be back at the trail junction for the descent to the Antelope, Bitterbrush intersection.  You can reach some mind blowing speed just make sure you yield as with all descents.  So you’ll have the final climb back to the resting spot then back down the rock garden-I was tempted to take the service road but I didn’t want to break the rules so back down the hard way.

It was a great afternoon and the perfect escape from the daily grind.  As always, follow along at connect.garmin.com/activity/263899231 and use the map information to plan your next trip.  A little preparation ahead of time can make all the difference.  I wish I had this kind of information back in the day, I can’t tell you how many times my brother and I drove out to ride only to find the terrain far too difficult.

Get out and ride! 

Alan Romero
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD - From Kelly and I

No comments:

Post a Comment